Residents have been roused late Tuesday night time by the odor of smoke and sounds of sirens responding to a tent fireplace on the intersection of Capp and Adair streets.
A tent abutting a sequence hyperlink fence was burning round 10:15 p.m. final night time, mentioned a resident.
In line with Lt. Jonathan Baxter, the San Francisco Fireplace Division public info officer, the incident was closed out and “principally listed as an out of doors trash fireplace” because the tent seemed to be unoccupied and no accidents have been recorded. The unique inhabitant or inhabitants’ situation and whereabouts are unknown.
A single fireplace truck extinguished the blaze, which inflicted minimal injury to the adjoining property — charring corners of a stack of picket pallets stacked by the chain hyperlink fence. A few of the unique inhabitants’ possessions survived intact.
Whereas the incident was much less extreme than previous tent fires, some nonetheless contemplate it too shut for consolation; Marshall Elementary College and its playground are situated solely 100 meters down the road.
“These conflagrations are occurring continuously, inflicting a number of property injury, and can finally price a life,” mentioned Christi Azevedo, a neighborhood resident of 25 years and architect, who watched final night time’s occasion unfold close to her house.
She cited recent cases of burning tents: fifteenth and South Van Ness in July, which unfold to a close-by constructing; and Folsom Road encampment fires within the spring and summer season.
Azevedo and different residents have reached out to Supervisor Hilary Ronen’s workplace over the previous few months to speak about options. Ronen’s legislative aide, Santiago Lerma, has communicated with the group about efforts to deal with tent and encampment fires within the northern Mission significantly.
“We agree this situation can not be tolerated because it has develop into a critical public well being drawback,” Lerma wrote in an Aug. 24 e mail. He inspired the residents and their neighbors to proceed utilizing 311 to report hazards as a result of “this information permits our workplace to place extra stress on the departments to take care of the road habits.”
Baxter additionally mentioned the general public can name 911 to report open flames. “If somebody is utilizing an open flame to ignite a managed substance, or … in the event that they’re cooking on meals burners, that’s okay to name 911.”
Baxter was close to the tent fireplace web site handing out smoke detectors and pamphlets on open flame use at present and final week. Since speaking with Mission Native a month in the past following a previous tent fireplace, he mentioned town’s Homeless Outreach Groups (“HOT”), avenue disaster response groups, and a few non-profits at the moment are distributing the identical supplies.
Just like the Department of Homeless and Supportive Housing and Workplace of Supervisor Ronen, Baxter mentioned the Fireplace Division encourages the general public to report hazards by calling 311 to permit applicable follow-up by the Metropolis’s Healthy Streets Operations Center.
Within the meantime, residents and political representatives say they’re pushing for extra high-level change.
“It’s our workplace’s primary precedence to push the [city] departments to proceed to construct housing and supply housing for these of us,” Lerma advised Mission Native on Wednesday. The town is “scrambling,” he mentioned, “and what we actually want is a plan that’s going to be systematic and centered and ensure everybody on the streets will get housing.”
Azevedo agrees and hopes the advocacy promised is greater than “this pacifying factor.”
She mentioned she additionally understands individuals have to method cook dinner on the road, however she needs to see enhancements, like the quantity of things left on the road by tents and encampments extra intently ruled to attenuate fireplace hazards.
“If I park on the road, I get a ticket,” she mentioned. “However I don’t have the reply.”